Sunday, May 17, 2009

Berlin Wall's 20th Anniversary & the DDR Museum


Berlin, what a city. A city of undeniable depth, tension, a no longer physical separation visible...but the mental separation is felt. The result is certainly palpable.


Berlin is a special city in this way. One with such a unique perspective, the vibe it exudes is really difficult to sum up in a matter of a few words. It works as a series of paradoxes that is one thing I am sure of. It is broken, yet it is strong.

It is divided yet it knows where it comes from...it is tattered, yet full of depth and wisdom. It seems there is a unique wisdom that comes along with this kind of suffering...a deeper awareness for the little things in life. Namely, freedom. There is a German saying whose equivalent is something like this: “In emergency, innovation/invention is made/inspired “ There is certainly some truth to this, profound or not, it made me think.


Checkpoint Charlie Museum really shook me. I cannot imagine living in the way they were forced to, let alone coming to the multitude of different life risking attempts to relieve themselves of such imprisonment. Some tried to get through wearing American uniforms, others more sophisticated ways....hidden in parts of cars, by creating their own submarine escape pods, by fashioning pulley systems, through methods of flight, custom collapsible ladders, others through tunnels...kayaks even...some through luggage...the list goes on and on.

I still cannot imagine having grown up separated by a literal wall. By being told that I would have to follow a set set of rules and restrictions while a whole other side of my country enjoys a free existence, with influences from all cultures, western or not...no limits to the various aspects of life...however small.


So I continue my tour...to the Bebel Platz across from the Humbolt University where many books were burnt back in they days of not-so-free thought. I then check out a memorial and some other "Doms"...the French and Berliner Doms...then I stop. The DDR Museum is along a river. This peaks my interest...I go in, buy a ticket, but as I further explore, I can see that my lack of language knowledge is hindering my experience. Oh well, what can I do? So I take pictures, try to fully grasp the big picture.

I sit in a Trabi, (see above) it was the car of the DDR. Marcel said people would put in a request for a Traubant as early as when their child was born, in order for him/her to finally have it by the age of 19. It literally could take that long to get a car in East Germany. Then I took a look at the old toys...the Sandmannchen etc...the old, seemingly ill fitting clothes, the various medals etc awarded to make the people of the DDR feel accomplished...etc. I buy a touristy combo...Rotcapchen Wein und Spreewald Gurke. The pickles were featured in the movie that I have since become very much a fan of, “Goodbye Lenin.” (See below)


I go to other places of fame in Berlin...the Reichstag...I nearly get arrested as I walk in the “wrong” side...I was so shocked that by the time I was “kicked out” Oooops! As Marcel said, I may as well have barged right in the White House. Ha.

So then onto the Potsdamer Platz, which had a nice collection of wall segments and it turns out, the first parts of the wall ever constructed. I marveled at the idea...soaked it all in...it still...as I write this can bring chills up my spine. The whole idea of being separated... isolated... confined even... especially with such aggression and haste behind it. It really baffles me still. Standing there where the wall once stood...

The Memorial Church left untouched since the war, West Berlin.

I can feel the mistrust, the paranoia, the resentment, the angst...I feel the apprehension, I feel the division. It's unsettling. I feel how although it's difficult, it's a fact of life... and I'm still not sure how the East Germans did it. Some really stood by their beliefs and their convictions and it's their stories that really impressed me. Their strength & courage is astounding.

One story that struck me as really incredible was a man called “Reinhard Furrer.“ He not only was a part of the famous Tunnel 57 rescue/escapes from East Germany to West, but he later became the first East German out in space. He was an astronaut. Wow, what a man, what a life! How has Hollywood not banked off of his documentary yet? lol...oh boy...

Marcel and I went for a brief visit at Legoland in Potsdamer Platz, Berlin

Berlin means many things to me. It shows the fragility of our place politically. How our freedom can so easily be turned against us to become our own imprisonment...it shows how free thought and free action can be deadly in the face of the wrong leadership... but most of all it showed me what it means to be on the side with good intentions. I mean that in the sense that Checkpoint Charlie was special. It was a place for refuge. It illustrated how these people triumphed... how against all odds they fought for what they believed in and came through experiencing freedom on the other side. It was and is a museum created by a German himself who sought to show the trials and tribulations that his own people had been through. I think it can be said, mission accomplished.


Another interesting development of that day was my trip to the Film & TV museum. I got to see the brilliance behind Alfred Hitchcock's work. I got to see storyboards and read film treatments. It was all very inspiring and special Then I made my way to the TV portion. This had a similar vibe as does all of Berlin. I watched as people celebrated that day in 1989, partying on top of the Brandenburg Tor. I again, tried to imagine the feeling. The sheer joy, the anticipation, the hope in the hearts of these people who for so many years were kept isolated. What a day that must have been!

Tiergarten Park: Andre and Marcel


Next, I decided to have a look at this “Sandmannchen” Stopmotion character (see below) that Marcel had told me he grew up on. It was very cute, but given the events of earlier on in the day, it was somewhat surreal to be watching a cute little kid's show. Especially knowing what went on behind the scenes...that these kids that would have watched this show had no clue of. He was cute though, he has his charm and I think he might have sprinkled some of his sand dust in my eyes, because my eyelids are not staying open very freely anymore...

Ok more tomorrow...much to talk about...Wenigerode and Schierke...and the day after that Kaiserrotbard und Kyffhauser...Bis Dann (Until then)...Tschuess (Bye) !!!

No comments: